Welcome to our new website!
History of Education in Friskney
There has been a school in Friskney since 1615. However, elements of the present school date back to 1860 when four church schools in the village were moved into one building. These rooms are the present two classrooms that front onto the road and in 1860 they were the school rooms for 198 children! The children remained at school until school leaving age (14 years of age at that time). In 1900 an extra room was added which is the room that looks onto the playground. More rooms were added in 1921 – a World War One Army Hut gave 2 extra classrooms – and 1948 – a Horsa Hut was built. Until The Giles School was opened in 1961 children remained at Friskney School until they were of school leaving age unless they were going to Skegness Grammar School. With the opening of The Giles School all children left Friskney at age 11. Another classroom was added to the school in 1993 and in 2010 work began on a new Hall, ancillary rooms and the remodelling of some of the older classrooms. During 2013 the EYFS classroom was extended and an outside play area was added which has given us a fit for purpose space for our children who are just beginning their school journey. At the same time the two original 1860 classrooms were re-modelled and enlarged. We discovered above the suspended ceilings the original beams and we have incorporated these into the rooms as a link between the old and the new. In September 2015 we opened our purpose built kitchen which provides meals for our children and two other local schools and Centres. A number of people have compared the school to the "Tardis" in Dr Who because, from the outside, the school appears small but once inside it seems to go on and on.
We have tried to include as much information as possible on the following pages about the everyday life of the school however should you not find an answer to the question that you have please feel free to contact us and we will endeavour to include it on the website.