Interactive Bar

Google Search
Google Translate
Log in
Home Page

SEND Local Offer


(Please see the School's SEND Policy under the "School Policies" section under the "Information" tab on the home page.  Paper copies of any policies are available from the school office).


Special Educational Needs And Disability (SEND Local Offer)


How does school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child has special educational needs? 
Liaison with previous school/nursery
Child performing below age related expectations
Concerns raised by parents
Concerns raised by teacher/teaching assistant 
Liaison with external agencies 
Medical assessments through GP/paediatrician


How will I raise concerns if I need to?
Talk to us – contact your child's class teacher in the first instance. This may then be referred to SENCo or Headteacher.
As a school we pride ourselves on always ensuring we take the time to hear parental concerns and through open and honest dialogue we work together in the best interests of the child. 


How will school support my child? 
Our school SENCo oversees all support and progress of any child requiring additional support across the school. 
Class teachers and teaching assistants (where appropriate) will oversee, plan and work with each child with SEND in their class to ensure that progress is made in each area. 
The child may work at times individually or in a small group with a teaching assistant. The regularity of these sessions will be explained to parents when the support starts. 
The child will be given an IEP (Individual Education Plan) which will be planned with the parent and the child to break down their specific needs. This plan will be reviewed on a long-termly basis however, if and when necessary, it can be reviewed sooner. 
Our school SENCo is available to discuss support in more detail but due to teaching commitments an appointment will be necessary. 
SENCo reports to the Governors curriculum sub-committee five times each year, at which she informs them about developments and progress or SEND children. This report does not refer to individual children and confidentiality is maintained at all times. 
Two of the Governors are responsible for SEND and meet regularly with the SENCo. They also report to the Governors to keep all informed regarding their visits. 
The Governors agree priorities for spending within the SEND budget with the overall aim that all children receive the support they need to make progress. 


How will my child's needs be met? 
All work within class is pitched at an appropriate level so that all children are able to access it according to their individual needs. Typically this might mean that in a lesson there would be different levels of work set (including support and extension) and at times this work may be individually differentiated. 
The benefit of this type of differentiation is that all, children can access a lesson and learn at their level. 


How will I be involved in my child's learning? 
We offer an open door policy where you are welcome any time to make appointment to meet with either the class teacher or SENCO. We can discuss how your child is getting on and offer advice and practical ways you can help your child at home. 

We believe that your child's education should be a partnership between parents and teachers, therefore we aim to keep communication channels open and communicate regularly, especially if your child has complex needs. 

If your child is on the SEN register they will have an IEP (Individual education plan) which will have individual targets. This is discussed on a termly basis and parents are given a copy of the IEP. The targets set are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time scaled) with the expectation that the child will achieve the target by the time it is being reviewed. 

If your child has complex SEND they may have an EHC (Education, Health and Care Plan). This may involve a formal meeting annually offering outside agencies to discuss your child's progress prior the report being written. 


How does the school know how well my child is doing? 

The class teacher continually assesses each child and notes areas where they are improving and where further support is needed. This is highlighted on our Whole School Provision mapping. As a school, we track children's progress from EYFS through to Year 6, using a variety of different methods including National Curriculum levels although due to upcoming changes we will be moving towards relating attainment and progress across the age-defying benchmarks of the new curriculum.
We also measure Reading and Spelling ages. 

Children are not meeting age related expectations are picked up by the class teacher and senior team. In this instance a discussion takes place concerning why individual children are experiencing difficulty and what further support can be given to aid their progress. If your child is discussed at one of these meetings their specific needs will be identified on a provision map. Parents will also be informed. 

When the child's IEP is reviewed comments are made against each target to show what progress the child has made. If the child has not met the target, the reasons for this will be discussed, then the target may be adapted into smaller steps or a different approach may be tried to ensure the child does make progress.


What is the pastoral, medical and social support available in school? 

We are an inclusive school; we welcome and celebrate diversity. All staff believe that children having high self-esteem is crucial to a child's well-being. We have a caring, understanding nurture team who provide additional support in looking after our children. One of our nurture leaders is fully trained in ELSA and other members of staff are familiar with their practices.  The Healthy Minds Toolkit and other self-esteem based resources are used for identified children.  Whole school approaches include the Jigsaw programme and after recent whole staff training, attachment friendly strategies are adopted within each classroom.
The class teacher has overall responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of every child in their class, therefore this would be the parents' first point of contact. If further support is required the class teacher liaises with the SENCo for further advice and support. This may involve working alongside outside agencies such as Educational Psychologists, Healthy Minds, CAMHS, BOSS, Restorative Solutions, Social Services and Social Outreach Team.


How does the school manage administration of medicines? 

The school has a policy regarding the administration and managing of medicines on the school site. (Please see school website under policies) 

Parents need to contact the office and complete a permission form if medication is recommended by health professionals to be taken during the school day. 
On a day to day basis the Admin Staff generally oversee the administration of any medicines. 
As a staff we have regular training and updates of conditions and medication affecting individual children so that all staff are able to manage medical situations.


What support is there for behaviour, avoiding exclusion and increasing attendance? 
As a school we have a very positive approach to all types of behaviour with tailored reward systems that are followed by all staff and pupils. 

If a children demonstrates behavioural difficulties they will have an IEP which will identify specific issues, put relevant support in place and sets targets in accordance with their needs.  

After any behaviour incident we expect the child to reflect on their behaviour with an adult and the school's Behaviour Policy will be followed.  This helps to identify why the incident happened and what the child needs to do differently next time to change and improve their behaviour. 

Attendance of every child is monitored on a daily basis by the Admin department. Lateness and absence are recorded and reported upon to the Head teacher. Support is given for individuals and classes through an incentive scheme where good attendance is actively encouraged throughout the school. We aim to take our attendance figure even further above the national average.


How will my child be listened to? 
We value and celebrate each child being able to express their views on all aspects of school life. We encourage children to talk to adults, to talk to their peers, to write down comments if needed in a classroom worry box. We also use the School Council as a forum for any issues and child viewpoints to be made. 
Children who have IEPs (Individual Education Plans) are offered an opportunity to discuss aspects of school life they enjoy and find a challenge. They discuss what helps them in school and recognise how they are making progress. Twice a year the SEND pupils complete a "Pupil Voice Audit" where they can share concerns or identify areas which they would like to be developed.
In each classroom is a folder containing 'Pupil Passports.' If your child has an IEP they will have their own document. These documents share how the children enjoy learning and explains what helps them within the classroom in the child's voice. 
If your child has an EHC (Education and Health Care Plan) their views will be sought before any review meetings.


What specialist services and expertise are available a or accessed by our school
As a school we work closely with any external agencies that we feel are relevant to individual children's needs within our school including: - STT's (Specialist Teaching Team), Social Outreach (Early Help Workers, Social Workers etc.), Health including – GPs, school nurse, counsellors, educational psychologist, paediatricians, speech & language therapists, occupational therapists, Working Together Team, Healthy Minds, Sensory Impairment Team, Portage and BOSS.


What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had or are currently having? 

All teachers and teaching assistants are 'Team-Teach' trained to support children with behavioural difficulties. 
All teaching staff have had training on supporting children with visual stress including Dyslexia. 
Teaching staff have had auditory impaired training including Makaton.
Teaching assistants have knowledge of a variety of interventions including: Nessy, Nessy Fingers, Touch typing, Alphabet arc, Stile, Word Wasp, Toe By Toe, Numicon and Beat Dyslexia. These interventions are aimed as supporting learners in Reading, Spelling, Phonics and Maths. 

All staff have attended training sessions on understanding behaviour and the importance of adopting inclusive practice.


How will my child be included in extra-curriculum activities and school trips?

All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips. We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful. 
A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone's health & safety will not be compromised.

How accessible is the school environment? 

The school site is wheelchair accessible with a disabled toilet large enough to accommodate changing. The school is all on one level with ramps at specified fire routes. 


How will the school prepare and support my child when joining the school and transferring to a new school?

When children are preparing to leave us for a new school, typically to go to Secondary education, we arrange transitional visits. We liaise with the appropriate secondary school if we need more specifically tailored visits to aid transition for venerable pupils. 
We liaise very closely with Staff when receiving and transferring children to different schools ensuring all relevant paperwork is passed on and all needs are discussed and understood.
If your child has complex needs then an EHC (Education, Health and Care Plan) a review will be used as a transition meeting during which we will invite staff from both schools to attend. 


How are the school's resources allocated and matched to children's SEND needs?

We ensure that all children who have Special Educational needs are met to the best of the school's ability with the funds available. 
We have a team of teaching assistants who are part funded from the SEND budget and deliver programmes designed to meet individual or groups of children's needs.
The budget is allocated on a needs basis. The Children who have the most complex needs are given the most support often involving a 1:1 teaching assistant. 


How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive? 

The class teacher alongside the SENDCo will discuss the child's needs and what support would be appropriate. 
Different children will require different levels of support in order to maximise their full potential. 

How do we know if it has had an impact? 

By reviewing children's targets on IEPs and ensuring they are being met 
The child is making progress academically against national/age expected levels and the gap is narrowing – they are catching up to their peers or expected age levels. 
Verbal feedback from the teacher, parent and pupil. 

Who can I contact for further information? 

First point of contact would be your child's class teacher to share your concerns. 
You could also arrange to meet Miss Taylor (Headteacher) or Mrs Clark(SENDCo) 
Contact Local Authority website – 
Contact Parent Partnership – 
Contact the school office (01754 820324) in order to arrange to meet the Headteacher or SENDCo. During term times the office is open 8am until 4pm. Outside office hours you may leave a message on the answerphone.

Overall School Attendance


School Awards

We've had 5 0 6 4 7 visitors